We are in the last leg of the strangest year we have experienced.
It was a tough year for most of us and there is at least one setback each of us has experienced. We have seen and done things which we never thought we would. However, this blog is not at all for ranting about how hard this year has been but about 20 things that you did differently, and that too positive in 2020.
20 is an ambitious number but I am going to try.
- You learnt to appreciate your home. We spent most of this year being locked down in home. There are many who are homeless and we should feel lucky that we had a roof over our head.
- Your mental health is of paramount importance for you now. Far too many times we focus on our body and not on mind. 2020 taught you to focus on your mind. Some of you meditated, some you took up writing, helped needy people. You are inclined towards things that bring you peace and happiness.
- You got to spend a lot of time with family. In the humdrum of life, we had forgotten family bonding and 2020 gave us a chance to be with the family. Many were able to develop even deeper bond and some have realised they need to leave and move on.
- Social distancing and isolation proved you can survive without socialising
- You were resilient this year. There were many restrictions and every one found their way to overcome and move forward.
- You work differently. Lot of us are working from home now and many found an opportunity to work for themselves and fulfil long cherished dream.
- You became a master chef. Almost everyone has tried a banana bread, dalgona coffee or cooked something fancy which normally you wouldn’t have.
- You have developed social awareness. Being in India, I see a refreshing new development where people are going out of their way to help people in need. Much needed for a country like India.
- Youtube is the new gym.You are more conscious of your health. We no longer need to go to gym to be fit. Maintaining hygiene, boosting immunity and physical well being is a priority now.
- Life is more important than success and wealth. I read an article about Steve Job’s last days where he said “At this moment, lying on the sick bed and recalling my whole life, I realise that all the recognition and wealth that I took so much pride in, have paled and become meaningless in the face of impending death.” We are lucky 2020 has helped us to understand that from close quarters.
- You developed a new found hobby or interest. My husband makes an effort to look at our house plants and see if they are in good health. Thats what they call smell the roses.
12) You are conscious of wasteful expenditure now. With limited resources, job losses, pay cut you are more conscious of how we spend money and use available resources
13) You learnt to “Adapt”
14) You replaced “My internet is not working” with “I am not feeling well” to bunk work
15) You didn’t have to think of a good excuse to skip a party or a family event
16) If you are an Indian women, you no longer are needy for the maids as you are accustomed to doing our own chores now. The equation has changed considerably. Previously you begged them to come to work now they beg to you to take them back to work.
17) Everyone was lucky when it came to weight. Some managed to lose weight by eating home cooked food. I also consider people who put on weight lucky too, as they ate what they enjoyed. It was a blessing to have access to good food especially in the backdrop of migrant workers dying of hunger.
18) You had time to fight for justice for Sushant Singh Rajput.
19) Zoom, Google meet are your new hangout place.
20)“YOU” have survived.
If you are reading this then it means you survived one of the most difficult years and going forward you are going to be just fine.
Wishing you a very happy 2021!